Increasingly more people begin to practice various sports. Besides football and basketball, many other sports are gaining importance: fitness, martial arts, tennis, athletics, etc. Sports people are always in shape and in a good mood and strive to improve their performance. However, injuries occur in all kinds of sports.
Prevention of sports injuries
1. Know your physical capabilities. It is essential to be aware of your physical form to choose appropriate training program and goals. Do warm-up exercises and ask the coach with what you should start. If you have any current health problems, always consult your doctor before you start a sport. In the case of heart disease, exercising worsen the situation. Doctors would do all investigations and would advise on sports that are good for you.
2. Increase your exercise gradually. If you have just joined the gym or have started running, do not start by 10 km. Even if you are very enthusiastic and eager to achieve your goals, it is essential to maintain optimal workload in the first few weeks. Your body might be unable to keep up with a too sustained effort and can cause injuries.
3. Work with a coach. If you have specific objectives, consider hiring a personal trainer. He will help you focus on essential exercises, will tell you how to run properly and will explain the movements you should avoid. You may need only a few sessions in which to learn the essentials.
4. Warm up before every training session. Most athletes are injured during the first minutes of the game or training session, because they don’t make too much effort to warm up. Start each workout with a warm up session for 5-10 minutes. The simplest form of warm up may consist of walking, running or execution of slow movements of respective sports.
5. Eat properly. If you eat two hours before exercising, the body will have enough energy to exercise, and if you eat after the training session the body will replenish the stocks and you will prepare for the next session.
6. Drink plenty of water. Even a minor loss of fluids can reduce the results of the training session. It is recommended to drink about a liter of fluid two hours before exercising and 250 ml every 15 minutes during it. If the exercise lasts more than 90 minutes, carbohydrate-enriched fluids are recommended. They help rebuild muscle energy stocks.
7. Do not try to overcome the pain during training. Sport should not be painful, so stop immediately you start to feel acute or chronic pain. Pain is body’s message that something is wrong. If you ignore the pain, it is easy to suffer a serious and chronic sport injury. If you feel unwell, it would be more beneficial for the body to rest.
8. Rest well. It is particularly important for all athletes to sleep, to feed and rest well. The next workout will be more enjoyable and you will have better results if the organism was recovered. Weekends should be part of the program. Overuse will weaken both body and immune system.
9. Vary the exercises. Sports routine can be harmful because continuous repetition of the same exercise can injure you. Moreover, the same activity will become boring and unpleasant. Combine sport with yoga, stretching exercises, swimming, lifting weights and you work the whole organism without additional stress.
10. Every sport has the proper equipment. Helmets, knee-, armrests and other protective measures that are needed to protect the main and most dangerous injuries specific to each sport. An athlete should invest wisely in these measures of self-protection. Never do sports without them.
Sport is often related to high emotional stress. It is not uncommon to expect the highest performance. Therefore, it often happens that the athlete nervous and tense to make mistakes during the game and get injured. Some people often forget that sport is a pleasure that bring joy not injuries. All the above tips should help you enjoy the sport without injury.